Sunday, December 1, 2013

Happy Advent Season and a DIY Advent Calendar

Posted by whatsapp status on December 01, 2013 with No comments
Today starts the first Sunday of the Christian Season of Advent.  Today we began our count down to Jesus birthday.  I had actually never done an advent calendar with my girls, I know sad but my youngest keeps asking, "Are we at Christmas?"  "When are we going to Christmas?" etc.  I figured a calendar would be a good way to visually show her how long till Christmas day.  The whole calendar will symbolize the Christmas season.

I decided to make my own as I am not keen on giving them chocolates each day and I am also a picky chocolate eater and couldn't find one with dark chocolate.  The only problem with home-made, is that I am not a crafty person.  As you can see, it is really rather simple, but it works.  I like the idea of separate envelopes, as this way I could write my own notes, create my own activities and thus limit the edible treats.
In case you get the gumption to create your own, here are a few ideas I came up.

  • make paper snowflakes
  • decorate a Christmas ornament (set aside)
  • make a Christmas card for someone you love
  • make a paper chain
  • make a craft/bake for your teacher
  • do something for our neighbours
  • watch a Christmas movie
  • sing your favourite Christmas carol
  • have a candle light dinner
  • read a Christmas book
  • play a family game
  • colour Christmas pictures (printed and set aside)
  • give a treat (included in the pouch) to someone else
  • special activities for the advent candles of (hope, peace, joy and love)

Have fun with it.  If I can make my own you definitely can as well.  The girls did help me with making the board and are just thrilled with opening something each day.  I don't think they care what it looks like.





Categories:

0 comments:

Post a Comment